Tombigbee Electric Power Association (TEPA) is a non-profit, customer owned utility dedicated to providing electric service to residential, commercial, industrial, and public facilities.
On February 26, 1934, a charter was granted to the Lee County Rural Electric Power Association. In June 1934, the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) took over from the Mississippi Power Company lines serving electric customers at Guntown, Saltillo, Sherman, Shannon, Nettleton, Plantersville, Verona, East Tupelo, Auburn, Chesterville, and Belden in Lee County and Fulton in Itawamba County. The Lee County EPA opened for business with 6 employees.
On June 25, 1935, Mr. Louis Cook was appointed manager of the Lee County EPA, and during that year the name was changed to Tombigbee Electric Power Association. On October 10, 1935, TEPA bought from TVA all of their distribution lines in the area and began operation as a co-operative with 168 miles of line and 151 members.
On November 1, 1967, Mr. James M. Allen succeeded Mr. Cook as manager of TEPA. As of December 1, 1969, TEPA had 1933 miles of line and 16,505 members and 95 employees.
On June 30, 1995, Mr. William W. Long became the third manager of TEPA. As of April 2007, TEPA has 3,814 miles of line and 40,094 customers and 133 employees.
TEPA has sustained 4 severe ice storms and numerous tornadoes. TEPA has always been a distributor of TVA power.